After a short break for an early summer holiday, Famale, the Clydebank Live Wednesday Baker, is back with another tempting treat. Readers still working to get in shape for donning their bikinis or swimming shorts should maybe look away now…
This chocolate cake is an easy standby but is always a hit in my house. ~ Famale (The Wednesday Baker)
6 oz margarine, 6 oz caster sugar, 5 oz self-raising flour, 1 oz cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 3 eggs and 2 tablespoons milk
Method (for the cake): (Preheat the over to 170 – fan)
1. Cream the sugar and marg together in one bowl.
2. In another bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder.
3. Add half of this to the marg and sugar.
4. Mix then add one egg.
5. Mix then add the other half of the dry ingredients.
6. Finally, add the other two eggs and mix well.
7. Then add the milk and give a good beat.
8. Divide between two small cake tins and bake for about 35 mins – if a knife comes out clean, it’s ready.
9. Leave to cool and get on with the icing.
Ingredients (for the icing):
3 oz unsalted butter, 1 oz cocoa powder, 4 oz icing sugar, 2 tablespoons milk
Method (for the icing):
1. Cream the butter and cocoa powder together.
2. Sift in the icing sugar in stages, mixing until smooth.
3. Add the milk to get a lovely glossy icing.
4. Ice the two cakes together and ice round the sides and the top of the cake.
5. Cover with chocolate buttons and enjoy!