This week The Wednesday Baker brings Clydebank Live readers the delicious Hedgehog cookies.
Strange though it may sound, my suburban garden is home to a hedgehog. He has visited us every night for the whole of my life, no doubt because we feed him his favourite food.
As soon as night falls, he enjoys a tasty snack of bread and peanut butter. However, I selfishly used up the last of his delicious spread by baking today’s recipe.
Through sheer guilt, I decided to name these perfect, crunchy sweet treats after him. He scoffed two, so there you have it – animal and human verification that these peanut butter and dark chocolate cookies should be baked in your kitchen today… if not sooner.
~ Famale (Clydebank Live’s The Wednesday Baker)
Kit:1 set of scales, 1 large mixing bowl, 1 wooden spoon, 1 chopping board, 1 sharp knife, 1 sieve, 1 baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
Ingredients: 4 oz light soft brown sugar, 4 oz caster sugar, 5 oz soft butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 egg, 2 oz very dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), 2 oz crunchy peanut butter, 6 oz plain flour, 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda.
1. Preheat oven to 170/150 fan.
2. Cream the sugars, butter and vanilla extract together in the bowl.
3. Mix in the egg.
4. Chop up the chocolate and add to the bowl.
5. Add the peanut butter and mix.
6. Sift in the flour and bicarb and mix until smooth.
7. Roll the mixture into little balls and flatten, on a lined baking tray.
8. Bake for 15 mins. They should be light golden brown and cracked.
9. Leave to cool on the baking tray for 5 mins then transfer to a wire cooling tray.
Every week The Wednesday Baker brings Clydebank Live readers exclusive, tasty treats. Have you tried making them? Post your comments here, via our facebook page, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org